Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Insensitivity of Modernity

So much of our news is centered around failed attempts at sympathy. In the age of the internet and 24 hour news stations, the world is united in an instant, but numb in a second. Of course, it's not our fault (at least not usually individually) that so many tragedies occur, that so many governments oppress their people and that famine and poverty are rampant. But it is our fault for being numb, living our petty lives like none of this ever existed. I say truly that there is nothing in this world more important than love and compassion. Empathy needs to be built, not false and void sympathy, designed to make you feel sad for a passing moment, a transitory release of what your whole soul cries out for: humanity. It is because of this that I always remember a quote from the movie Hotel Rwanda; it is the scene where a white reporter is talking to a native about the tragedy around them. The native replies with something to the effect of " your people will see this on the television screens, sitting down eating, they will feel bad for a moment, and then they can turn it off and sleep sound and peacefully in their beds". Nothing is more true. How can we sleep peacefully when other human beings suffer? I'm not saying we should all become superhumans and go on a mission to save the world of all grief. But what have you done to make this world better? What is your job, your family, your life to the world in a greater scheme? When I write these things I write them in passion. I love Chase because he is very analytic while I'm just mostly emotion. The world needs servants! The world needs people who understand. I have seen poverty, I have surpassed many boundaries when 19 years ago no one would have said I could have gotten this far. But I do not strive for me directly, but for the fuel that runs me. For my community that has suffered long and grieves hard in injustice. I hope to be a blessing in a stranger's life. If only one. And maybe I'll one day publish my story, but if anyone can take anything from this, take love and give it to the next person you see. Take individualism and incinerate it. Take your life and dedicate it to something larger than your career or family. Take life and live abundantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment